Dear Summit Lakes Middle School Community,
My name is David Mitchell, and as principal of Summit Lakes Middle School, it is my pleasure to welcome you back for the 2021-22 school year! With the anticipation of a more routine return to school this fall, “back-to-school” excitement is building for this school year! We look forward to working with you and your child and the opportunity to provide each of you with what we hope will be a high quality and unforgettable middle school experience.
The SLMS staff believes in the value of middle level education and it will be our goal that students attending Summit Lakes Middle School receive a challenging, engaging and rigorous education in a climate of caring and supportive adults. We look forward to the collective task of improving student achievement and guiding students through their pivotal middle school years. It is my opinion that the team, consisting of students, parents, and teachers working together is the most effective tool in helping all kids succeed in school.
The Lee’s Summit R-7 School District is in its sixth year of an online enrollment system that families will use for returning students. The system can be accessed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week beginning July 22, 2021. You can use a smart phone or iOS capability to complete the online process. All families have the ability to review and update information, confidentially upload necessary residency documentation, update immunizations and make payment for optional and required school items including any remaining fines. For additional, detailed registration information, please visit the LSR7 website here.
How To Enroll SLMS Students Online for the 2021-2022 School Year (Online enrollment begins July 22):
- Gather documents prior to beginning the enrollment process: current proof of residency documentation per district guidelines, current immunization records, parent PowerSchool access information (log-in credentials).
- Log into your PowerSchool Parent Portal using the following link: https://powerschool.lsr7.org/public/. If you need help, please use this link for directions: Power School Parent Portal Directions.
- Online PowerSchool Enrollment Directions will assist you in following all the required steps to completing the online enrollment process. Use the following link: Power School Registration Directions.
- Making Payment Directions will assist you in following the required steps to complete payment processing. Payment processing includes Chromebook Insurance, unresolved lunch charges from the previous school year, as well as other items related to your child/individual school. Use the following link: Payment Central Directions.
- Schedules and Locker Information will be located on schedules, which will be distributed to all SLMS students during our dedicated in-person schedule pick up days (see dates and times below).
If you are needing assistance or unable to access this from home, please contact the school at 986-1375 to schedule an appointment to come to the front office to receive help. Appointments for assistance will be available beginning Wednesday, July 28 from 7:00am to 5:00pm.
As we prepare for your child’s 2021-22 school year, we want to assure parents and students that you are about to join a team of dynamic teachers and administrators who will be working with you to insure your child’s success. In order to make your back-to-school adjustment a little easier, we have scheduled the following activities:
- All LSR7 middle schools will move to an 8:20am start time beginning this fall. Your child’s school day will be 8:20am-3:15pm. Information regarding transportation, including bus stop location and pick up times, will be shared after schedule pick-up days.
- Schedule Pick-Up for 8th grade is Wednesday, August 11 (1:00-7:00pm)
- Schedule Pick-Up for 7th grade is Thursday, August 12 (1:00-7:00pm)
- 7th Grade Transition Day is Monday, August 23 (Times TBD)
- Back-to-School Night (for parents only) is Thursday, August 26 (5:45-8:35pm) – NOTE: We are still working on the details of this evening as we are transitioning to a new format that will split 7th and 8th grade and reduce some of the overcrowding experienced on this evening in the past.
Changes resulting from COVID-19 that will remain in place for 2021-22:
- SLMS students will not be required to dress out for PE classes this year. Students will be encouraged to wear activity-appropriate clothing, including appropriate footwear, on their designated PE days.
- Student lockers and backpacks: Students will again be allowed to carry their backpacks with them while at school. All students will be assigned a locker to use as needed throughout the year.
*NOTE: These and many other events and activities are subject to change in the event that health restrictions arise and prohibit our ability to offer scheduled activities in the proposed formats.
We are looking forward to the upcoming school year and the opportunity to partner with you and your child. We recognize and are prepared to handle the challenge of re-acclimating our students to full-time schooling. Please know that we are here to support our students and families as we get back to business as usual. In closing, we hope you continue to have a relaxing and safe summer vacation and please be watching for additional communication and updates from SLMS related to the upcoming school year.
Dr. David Mitchell