Welcome to Summit Lakes Middle School!
In the fall of 2022, all LSR7 middle schools welcomed 6th grade students and officially became 6-8 middle schools. The inaugural building administration consisted of Dr. David Mitchell, Lee Barger, Evonne Medrano, and Marsha Hasty. In order to accommodate 6th grade students, new programming, and a projected 950 students, SLMS underwent a 12 month construction project that consisted of updates to existing spaces along with additional classrooms expanding the school’s capacity to 1300 students. These physical updates and additions along with revised programming will allow for students and teachers to engage in future ready learning along with maintaining teaming as an essential component of the middle school structure.
Summit Lakes Middle School opened in the fall of 2000 with 481 students and 33 teachers. A team representing the school community created the school’s name, including the word “Summit” representing the name of the city Lee’s Summit and “Lakes” due to the number of lakes in the community, especially within the attendance area. The students who opened the building were charged with naming the school mascot and identifying school colors, hence the navy and hunter green Falcons were born. Summit Lakes was initially opened with a capacity of 600 students. In 2004, a bond issue funded a planned second phase, increasing the capacity of the school to approximately 1,000 students. Summit Lakes Middle School is located about one mile west of the intersection of State Route 291 and MO-150.
We prepare each student for success in life.
Summit Lakes Middle School provides the support needed for each student to achieve academic, physical, social, emotional, and behavioral success in a diverse world.
- We will uphold high expectations for learning while utilizing best practices in rigorous, real life, and research-based instruction.
- We will differentiate instruction and implement interventions to meet the needs of each student.
- We are committed to promoting a safe, trusting, and collaborative environment.
- We will promote a positive school climate by modeling the qualities and characteristics that we hope to instill in our students.
- We will provide a variety of activities so each student feels a sense of belonging.
- We will build positive relationships and maintain consistent expectations for all students.
- We will collaborate in developing behavioral strategies, ensuring effective interventions and student reflection that support the positive climate of Summit Lakes Middle School.
3500 SW Windemere Dr, Lee's Summit, MO 64082
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
8:20 AM - 3:15 PM
8:20 AM - 12:55 PM
Late Start Friday:
9:20 AM - 3:15 PM
Dr. David Mitchell
Navy & Hunter Green